Thanksgiving started out as a difficult day for me while I got myself and the kids ready to head over to my aunt and uncle's house. Every year we try to get there between 1-1:30pm. By the time we get there the majority of folks are there, usually over 50, and dinner is served within 30 minutes. It gives us a chance to settle in, but not too long for Madeline to get too hyped up & she can still sit and eat. This year, I dragged my feet because even though I was excited to go and see my family, one very important person was missing this year...my dad.
My Uncle started, just like every year, with a prayer but opened with how much everyone was missing Bob. Thankfully my aunt smacked him on the shoulder and said to move on because too much longer and I think a lot of us would have been wailing. I know my mom was struggling, but I kept checking in on her and I think she enjoyed herself. Usually people stay pretty late, but the main crowd was cleared out by 8pm. Mom & I stayed awhile to visit with my great aunts, great uncle, and cousin Rick. Starr had left a little earlier to work the picket line, but when he came back we just hung out and relaxed for a bit before loading up the kids. I think it was the first year we were home by 10pm.
The next morning Madeline & I were up and ready to go at 8:30am for a
full day's shopping. The day went great except TriMet not picking my Grandma up and delivering her to Sears for us. My poor Grandma--it's the biggest outing of the year for her and Trimet didn't bother to get out of the van and knock on the door. Nobody from the care facility knew the bus was there, and the bus took off. Mom and the home are filing formal complaints. Besides the disappointment of not having Grandma there, we still had a great time and found some good deals. I only have one person remaining on my list. The kids are even done! Madeline also got to meet Santa and since there was no line, she was able to spend about 10 minutes talking and laughing with him!
Friday night Starr played Poker with friends and the kids and I hung out with the family at my aunt and uncles. Fridays are usually lower key than Thanksgiving, but still quite a few people heading in and out. It was fun to catch up with relatives that live so close but we only see twice a year! Friday I think I got the kids home around 11pm...poor Madeline was exhausted and proved it Saturday by falling apart at gymnastics and Makenzie's birthday party.
Mom and I spent Saturday morning shopping at a bazaar with Elizabeth, rushed to pick Madeline up from gymanstics, left Starr so he could work the picket line, and headed to Makenzie's birthday party. The party was a blast, but Madeline only lasted about two hours and I took her home for a long nap. Unfortunately, Elizabeth had about a 40 minute period she wouldn't stop crying and Madeline woke up a little early. She still held herself together for a good portion of the night at, again, my aunt and uncles before we went home to get our Christmas Tree!
We picked out our tree, got it home, decorated it, and watched White Christmas as a family (perfect for Madeline who danced throughout the movie!) We got the tree decorated, stuffed in the corner so Elizabeth can't pull herself up with it and as we sat down to relax and convince Madeline it was time for bed we heard
thought he'd come instantly and was beside herself with grief when she found out she had to wait. It was difficult to convince her to go to bed, but thankfully she finally fell asleep atop a tear soaked pillow. I think it's going to be a long month...
Our Holiday Weekend ended today with the biggest celebration: Elizabeth's Dedication. We were honored that our friends & family from other churches came to celebrate with us, and so many friends from our new church were congratulatory. What an honor to dedication Elizabeth to the Lord. It's amazing how the Lord has blessed us with two amazing children when at one point we didn't think we would be able to have any. I look at my children and I feel so much love. I never understand the term "mother's love" prior to being a mom. There's nothing better...nothing. And I have God to thank for that!
Overall, even though our holiday started off sad it ended with a celebration. Celebration of life and thanksgiving, which is what the weekend is really all about. I am so thankful for my life, for my country, for the opportunities I have in my life. I am so thankful for my friends and my family, and the time I had with my family no longer here. I am thankful for the hardships and challenges that God has placed in our lives since August. Even though it's been a tough road, we are stronger people, we are more faithful people, and we are just that much more thankful for the life God has blessed us with!
Happy Thanksgiving!
My Uncle started, just like every year, with a prayer but opened with how much everyone was missing Bob. Thankfully my aunt smacked him on the shoulder and said to move on because too much longer and I think a lot of us would have been wailing. I know my mom was struggling, but I kept checking in on her and I think she enjoyed herself. Usually people stay pretty late, but the main crowd was cleared out by 8pm. Mom & I stayed awhile to visit with my great aunts, great uncle, and cousin Rick. Starr had left a little earlier to work the picket line, but when he came back we just hung out and relaxed for a bit before loading up the kids. I think it was the first year we were home by 10pm.
The next morning Madeline & I were up and ready to go at 8:30am for a
Friday night Starr played Poker with friends and the kids and I hung out with the family at my aunt and uncles. Fridays are usually lower key than Thanksgiving, but still quite a few people heading in and out. It was fun to catch up with relatives that live so close but we only see twice a year! Friday I think I got the kids home around 11pm...poor Madeline was exhausted and proved it Saturday by falling apart at gymnastics and Makenzie's birthday party.
Mom and I spent Saturday morning shopping at a bazaar with Elizabeth, rushed to pick Madeline up from gymanstics, left Starr so he could work the picket line, and headed to Makenzie's birthday party. The party was a blast, but Madeline only lasted about two hours and I took her home for a long nap. Unfortunately, Elizabeth had about a 40 minute period she wouldn't stop crying and Madeline woke up a little early. She still held herself together for a good portion of the night at, again, my aunt and uncles before we went home to get our Christmas Tree!
"Now Santa can come and I can open my presents"coming from little Maddie's mouth. Well, she
Our Holiday Weekend ended today with the biggest celebration: Elizabeth's Dedication. We were honored that our friends & family from other churches came to celebrate with us, and so many friends from our new church were congratulatory. What an honor to dedication Elizabeth to the Lord. It's amazing how the Lord has blessed us with two amazing children when at one point we didn't think we would be able to have any. I look at my children and I feel so much love. I never understand the term "mother's love" prior to being a mom. There's nothing better...nothing. And I have God to thank for that!
Overall, even though our holiday started off sad it ended with a celebration. Celebration of life and thanksgiving, which is what the weekend is really all about. I am so thankful for my life, for my country, for the opportunities I have in my life. I am so thankful for my friends and my family, and the time I had with my family no longer here. I am thankful for the hardships and challenges that God has placed in our lives since August. Even though it's been a tough road, we are stronger people, we are more faithful people, and we are just that much more thankful for the life God has blessed us with!
Happy Thanksgiving!
1 comment:
Wow. Sometimes it's so easy to take the people in your life for granted - as always there. Thanks for sharing. God bless your Christmas too.
Post a Comment