Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Turbine Tower Climb




On our way out to a Horizon sponsored fair, Melissa and I stopped off at our favorite operations facility, Rattlesnake Road and Wheat Field where Nick, a co-worker, had previously agreed to take us up on a tower climb. We got there fairly early in the day, but it was already cooking inside—92 degrees!

Melissa and I got all geared up and were ready for the climb of our life. Honestly, it wasn’t as hard as I had thought it would be but it wasn’t easy either. There are four platforms. The first three platforms are spaced about 40-50 feet apart. You climb straight up, stop at a platform, go straight up again, stop at a platform, etc. The last leg is about 80 feet and definitely the hardest since you are already tired and hot. The reward is standing on top a tower about 285-300 feet in the air with a nice breeze. It’s incredible and so worth it.
The trek down was a little bit harder and somewhat scarier (looking down is no fun). Thankfully I am not afraid of heights, but Melissa is. I felt bad for her, but she did a great job considering her fear. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I am so glad that we did it…and we got to do it together! The family that sweats together, stays together? 

No comments: